Senior Engineer Naval Operations & Automation
The Research & Technology Support group is part of the Engineering Department and is made up of various specialists. The group conducts research and supports developments regarding new types of ship, as well as supporting the Products & Proposals Department in order to determine the degree of automation together with the client and subcontractors. The degree of automation in a ship is driven by the desire to reduce crew size on the one hand, and on the other hand the technological possibilities that are available. This requires a good understanding of naval operations and the manning required. This can vary widely from navy to navy.
Ship Automation is playing an increasingly important role in the operational use of our (navy) vessels. Therefore, we decided to further develop and professionalize our design and research capacity in this field. This is the primary objective in this new role.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- During the design phase you help to determine and establish the framework of the ship automation, platform management and information systems.
- In the basic engineering phase, you care for the development of the design and specifications together with the subcontractor (s).
- As part of the R & D Department you keep track of technological developments and take part in various research projects
- At least 5 years of experience (e.g. shipping, marine)
- Bachelor / Master in Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics, Automotive, Maritime Mechanical Engineering with affinity for ships automation systems;
- Up to date knowledge of ship automation;
- Good verbal and written command of the Dutch and English language;
- Flair & entrepreneurship
- Analytic en pragmatic mindset;
- Creative in solutions;
- Driven and enthusiastic;
- Teamplayer with good communication skills.
DSNS boasts a state of the art Engineering organization, which is responsible for basic and detailed engineering of ships consigned to DSNS for production at the Vlissingen yard and to an increasing extent for production abroad.
The Research & Technology Support group is part of the Engineering Department and is made up of various specialists. The group conducts research and supports developments regarding new types of ship, as well as supporting the Products & Proposals Department in order to determine the ship design. The group also supports Engineering and Production when detailing the contracts and instructions. Nowadays naval vessels and complex vessels are more and more designed with full electric propulsion or hybrid propulsion.
Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding (DSNS) is specialised in the design and construction of naval and complex commercial vessels, making optimal use of its know-how and experience from both the military and commercial sectors.
|Date Updated||Friday 19 October 2018|
|Company name||Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding|
|Contact||Ms. Esther Van Oorschot|
|Telephone||+31 (0) 118 48 23 24|
|Fax||+31 (0)118 485 050|