Business Controller Cape Town
For our shipyard in Cape Town, we are looking for a Business Controller, who has affinity with risk management and project control. Damen Shipyards Cape Town is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer with clear employment equity targets.
The Business Controller is working closely with the Finance Manager of the yard, reports to the Division Business Controller and acts as a lengthening piece of this person. The Business Controller assists the Finance Manager with setup of clear financial structure and processes to ensure segregation of duties in line with the Damen Group policies. Special focus is given to project control and risk management process including required tooling and management information.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Advice various internal stakeholders (e.g. Board of Directors, local management, project manager) on the financial, business and project related risks, opportunities and external developments;
Work closely with the Finance manager of the yard to:
- Set-up and implement project cost control process including tools and reporting in line with the Damen Shipyards Group standards;
- Set-up up a project specific cash flow model and be actively engaged in working capital management for the project;
- Assist to improve the financial and administration processes relating to the project, in line with the standards of the Damen Shipyards Group and legal and business requirements;
- Identifying and managing cost reduction opportunities within the project;
- Dedicated project team member representing the finance discipline in the project and works closely with the project manager to identify key risks and potential financial impact;
- Assists the Finance Manager to ensure segregation of duties in key financial processes like purchase to pay and order to cash;
- Liaises closely with the Finance function of the Damen Shipyards Group and Division and assures that Damen Group accounting standards, policies, methods and time lines are implemented;
- Build and maintain a network of internal project related stakeholders, in line with business needs, policies and developments.
As a Business Controller, you are a strong and positive communicator, motivator and multitasker. You can maintain relationships with all levels of the organization, while keeping your professional independence. You are a team player, accurate, can maintain a helicopter view but also have attention for relevant details and can easily identify the key issues that meant your focus and attention.
Additionally, you meet the following requirements:
- Academic degree in Business Economics / Finance and Accounting;
- Chartered accountant qualification;
- Minimum 3 years of experience as Business Controller or similar function, preferably in the Maritime industry or in another Project related industry;
- English is a must;
- Experience in working with ERP systems.
You have a hands-on and no-nonsense mentality, and aware of cultural differences.
To date, the DSCT yard has constructed & delivered 40 vessels to the African continent (countries include South Africa, Zanzibar, Angola, Kenya and many more). Vessels types constructed and delivered to date have included offshore patrol vessels, dredgers, tugs, naval craft and supply vessels. DSCT is a major supplier to the South African Government bodies such as Trans National Ports Authority of South Africa (TNPA) and the South African Navy (SAN) and also supplies vessels to local private companies which have included Smit Amandla Marine and De Beers.
DSCT is an important employer within the South African Shipbuilding Industry and currently employs over 200 permanent employees. DSCT is a Level 3 BEE rated company and is proud to have a local South African shareholder, namely Montsi Investments.
DSCT strives towards building vessels that harness local materials & services during construction. In 2015, DSCT established a department that focuses on sourcing local suppliers & service providers that meet the material & service standards required for world class quality vessels. The department assists in the development of local suppliers where gaps within the supply & service chain are identified. Though these efforts, DSCT encourages local entrepreneurship and job creation.
|Date Updated||Thursday 1 February 2018|
|Company name||Damen Shipyards Cape Town|
|Contact||Mr. Boy Ramirez Verhoeven|